I am getting anxious for harvest! The yeast is on order and I am ready to start soon, but when!?!
Tested Chardonnay yesterday and got pH 3.45, Brix 19.5, tastes like a pink lady apple!
So here goes the tentative plan…
I’m expecting activities to kick off on Saturday, August 2nd.
Right now I’m expecting Belle Crest to harvest tempranillo on Saturday, August 2. I would like to test their grapes again on Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon, July 26 or 27th to verify that they have been ripening as projected. Right now the 10 day forecast has a significant chance of rain for Friday, August 1st. This could be a bad thing because the grapes tend to soak up the water quickly. Last year it rained 48 hours prior to picking our merlot and I was very disappointed as the resulting wine was too watery. So this may throw a monkey wrench in the plan, or the 10 day forecast could be wrong (but I sure would welcome the cooler temps). Journey Vineyards will bring their grapes as well for processing, so I must remember to keep them informed.
I am likely to also pick the chardonnay in our vineyard the same time, August 2nd. I am torn because the flavors are getting to where I want, but the Brix isn’t quite there. So they could easily hang a little longer than that. If we get rain, I will definitely push that harvest to during the week.
On Saturday, August 9th we’re expecting Belle Crest to harvest malbec. We may harvest our merlot as well. The malbec will be the biggest amount coming at one time, so we may push the merlot off so that we don’t have too much to process. I want to process the chardonnay and have it out of the way prior to the malbec arriving.
The cabernet sauvignon and sangiovese still have a while to go in my vineyard, so maybe the 16th or 23rd.